Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Monoprinting with a Gelli Plate

I'd been resisting this whole monoprinting trend with mixed media artists, but after watching Roben-Marie Smith's video about gelli printing, I had to try it. I don't used many preprinted papers in my journals or other artwork, because I want the work to be all my own. Same with stamps. I've started carving my own rather crude stamps.

I ordered the gelli plate and stencils from Alleystamp Shop on Etsy. They came in good shape and very quickly.
 I experimented with the two techniques that Roben demonstrates in her video, and I think the papers will be even cooler with a little spray ink or doodling. It's pretty quick, and I played around with printing for about 3 hours! I made lots of pretty papers, and a few duds. I can't wait to try different kinds of paints like the fluid acrylics too. For now, I just stuck to the cheap craft paints.
While I was at it, I printed on some envelopes for happy mail too. They are so cheerful, and didn't warp like they do when I watercolor them.
This is part of my new stash! There are probably at least twice this many, plus the envelopes. I think with a little practice, I'll be able to make all my own printed papers, except for the kinds of things I clip out of magazines and books. And did I mention it's fun??! Yep, it's fun!

No comments: