Monday, April 10, 2006

Drawing at a Museum

Well, I finally did the challenge to draw at a museum. Jennifer and I went to the McLean Co. Historical Musuem which is housed in the beautiful old courthouse. We drew a plane that was built in Bloomington in the 30's and was a forerunner to the modern high speed jets. I journaled on the page about the plane and how it reminds me of my grandfather. He was a machinist at Studebaker and he was also a pilot of his own plane. He built a flight simulator in his basement and he and his buddies built a race car for the Indy 500. It had problems in the trials and never made the actual race. I just think it is cool how ordinary (but brainy) guys were building cool stuff like that in their own garages back then. My granddaddy only went to school through 3rd grade before he quit to work....but he never stopped learning and he did some amazing things in his lifetime.
This one is my attempt to draw Jennifer....trying to draw more people Laura! As you can see she is almost faceless, as faces scare me to pieces. But look, I pretty much caught how she was sitting! That's cool!

6 comments:

Shelly McC said...

These drawings are excellent!! I esp. love the shoe!

Anonymous said...

You certainly DID get the way she was sitting, you wizard, you! And the bench she's sitting on, too. And those shoes! This is synchronistic---I'm doing a shoe post today, too ;D.

melissa said...

You really did capture the seated pose.

p.s. I think mushrooms are gross, too! same reason.

Teri said...

Patty, these are great sketches! I can almost see the fun you had.

Alison said...

There look to be some great stories in that plane. Lovely

Linda said...

Great sketches! Looks like the two of you chose an interesting museum to go drawing in. And the seated pose is right on -- wonderful stuff! :-)