Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Painting BIG


Normally, I paint small....no larger than about 12x12, but several years ago I bought this great old easel at an auction, and promptly bought a couple of huge canvases. Then it sat....for years. Suddenly the other evening I decided I just had to paint one!
I decided to go for it and do something kind of like the background I make for journal pages. It helped me get over the fear of that pristine canvas, to just think of it that way, and not worry about how it turns out...after all, if I hated it, I could gesso over it, and start anew.
I used Golden fluid acrylics and some acrylics in tubes. I layered on the colors using brushes and my fingers.
Added some water, and letting gravity paint.
  I painted with my fingers quite a bit. I also used foam brushes, and regular paint brushes.

I've not painted anything this large since high school. It was fun! I will definitely be trying this again in the near future.

5 comments:

Hopes Handcrafts said...

oh I love this Joyce..so bold and full of joy, yet gentle and fresh as well. Lots of yummy "ooziness pouring out of your soul" in this painting :o)

pedalpower said...

Thank you so much Julia. A lot of healing has gone on in my life....I don't think I was brave enough to do this before. I already started another one too!

Aletha Riter said...

Joyce I agree with Julia.. so much love and soul is "oozing" out of the painting. I myself never thought of art as a healing process as I have done it from a very young age and it has just progressed to what I do today. Like you I have had much to deal with in life and it is hard for me to get into the studio because of it.. I will have to try and do maybe "bigger" myself and see what happens...

Paula's Originals said...

Love your painting. So happy and moving!

pedalpower said...

Aletha, I hope you do give it a try! It's very different, and also very freeing!