Thursday, October 05, 2006

Autumn....

Autumn always makes me think about going back to school. Today I actually did...just for the day to pick up some records I needed. It was fun walking around campus though....seeing what has changed and what has not. The Union is a great building and changes very little through the years.
After I ran my errands, I sat in the Union and drew the windows along one wall. I used to love to sit in here or on the terrace just outside this room and study. It's even more fun to sit and draw....sometimes it's great to be out of school.
The last line says, "The Union looks today pretty much the way it did when I was here in the 80s and as it looked when my dad was here in the 50s....and probably as it did in the early 1900s. Sturdy and dignified."

Autumn was the September topic at The Art Blog Challenge.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this two-page spread of the Union. Love how the chair looks less finished as it gets closer to the text, on the right.

Anonymous said...

Each autumn I remember the feeling, when school started, the fresh books, and the good intentions I had every year ...
Lovely drawing!

pedalpower said...

Oh, me too....all the potential of the new school year! I still looove the smell of new books.

Anonymous said...

Joyce, it must have brought back lots of memories to walk around your old campus. Somehow those years of learning, never leave us but accompany us in whatever we do.

I really like your drawing of the stained glass windows, they remind me very vaguely of windows by Frank Lloyd Wright...actually maybe it's the colours more than the exact style.
Very nice!

clearart said...

Interesting.
I like it.
kuriyamab

Felicity Grace said...

Love seeing what you put in your Moleskine and the photos so I can see the actual size! Those are wonderful windows.

Lin said...

BEAUTIFULLY BEAUTIFULLY DONE!!!! The detailing, the bit of color -- PERFECT!

Andrea said...

love how you've done the stained glass!

Making A Mark said...

You've captured the feel of the day in both drawing and text. I guess you prompted a few memories for other people as well...I know you did for me.

Thanks
Katherine