Saturday, March 03, 2007

Upside-down Drawing

After watching Danny Gregory draw a portrait I decided to try turning my reference upside down and give it a go. I'd done this before years ago and it did not turn out too well, but this time I think it really helped. My drawing doesn't look like Mike -I drew him awfully narrow! But it does look more like a person than my faces usually do. Somehow upside down, I did not get all weirded out drawing nostrils and eyes...upside down they are just a series of shapes and tones. I need to try this a lot more, but I'm encouraged by the result. Isn't that a neat word? en-couraged. Yup, I have a tiny bit more courage now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute guy! And congratulations on your portrait! I watched Danny's video, but haven't yet tried it - still scared.

Anonymous said...

Your attempt is very good! You should be encouraged to know that with practice you will become even better. :-) Don't forget about the negative space, it can also help with proportions and measuring. Nice job!

Teri said...

First of all, what a cutie that boy is. Second, I routinely turn something upside down when I get stuck-it works amazingly well. But, it's hard to do in real life :)

Brenda Yarborough said...

Wow - you SHOULD be encouraged! This is really good!!! A great sketch of a very handsome young man.
I like drawing upside down too, it helps me get my mind out of the way and lets my eye tell my hand what to do.

Kerstin Klein said...

nice. i watched the ovie too and i´m also going to try it. mike is a cute guy :)

df said...

wow, what a babe! he would be too hard to draw.
way too handsome!

pedalpower said...

Awww, I showed Mike your comments...he was blushing.