Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Yard work while sheltering..


A couple of days ago, it rained all day, then two days of sun,and my lawn grew a foot! Usually I barely have time to mow my yard during the months the shop is open. But now, even with making masks, I can take a break and mow and plant some little marigolds I picked up. The reason we are all locked down is very serious, but I think it's wise to try and notice and appreciate the way we are slowed down, and what good things it adds, as well as the losses.  I'm trying to learn the lessons in all of it.

Lately, I've been drawing from life more, in the spirit of urban sketching. But now I'm kind of combining drawing from life and drawing from photos, because I want to include myself in the drawing. Sometimes I find a photo reference, like I found a picture of a woman mowing the lawn, and as I was drawing her I made her more curvy like me,  gave her shaggy hair like mine, and made the lawn mower look more like mine. Then I drew my yard around her/me. It's pretty much an experiment. I guess I could take pictures of myself, but that would be complicated and I'd probably never do the drawing if I had to do all of that.

No comments: