Friday, March 23, 2012

Drawing by the Ocean...

I walked down to the ocean today to check out the plein air painters gathered there. There were quite a few artists gathered. Many seemed to be working in oils and acrylics...fun to watch.

I sat down on a rock and settled down to sketch a bit. I decided on this scene.

 A friend from Christie's labyrinth garden stopped by and gave me a couple of Hawaiian paint brushes. They are seed pods from the Lauhala tree, and I may have to try and use them to paint a bit of this sketch. It started raining pretty hard which sent me on a walk back home. Watercolors and rain...not such a good match.

 Beautiful blues.

I started inking in the basics, and will add some color. More tomorrow...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

will wait for the colors :)

The Sketchbook Artist said...

Wow...wish I could go to a beach and draw it! How fun. Maybe next time I'm in California I'll head over to Bodega Bay with my sketchbook and draw something.